Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Period 5, Group F

Dear Mr. Bigman,

I know you're busy with all your Presidential duties man, but I have a bone to pick with you. Early this week it rained at my commune. I went into the fields the next day and all the beautiful flowers I had just planted, were dead. Mr. President, man, you have to understand my agony. I spent 3 afternoons working on perfecting that soil with fertilizers and till up the top soil, and the rains came and ruined all my hard work. I wrote a haiku about it, to portray my raw emotions:

As toxic rain fell

The rich soil was left for dead

Nothing will be grown

Mr. President, can you still read the emotion in my words? It’s the entire governments fault, man. I know it’s a sick plan to control the environment, to brain wash your citizens. You and you’re “scientists” claim to be trying to help our mother earth, lies, Corporate American lies! You sit in your fancy chair, laughing at people like me planting our gardens in useless soil. I’ve read the articles, I’ve heard the rumors. The natural calcium and magnesium are missing in our soil, your acidic rains full of Sulfuric acids and un-natural Nitric acids, they are ruining the top soil, and they are causing our green world to deteriorate man.

So you say you’ve tried to help out, nobody believes you. Articles claim that adding calcium into the soil would be too difficult, that it would take a decade or more to replenish the buffer chemicals in the soil. My fellow peace activists and I don’t believe your scams. The government lies to us man. Our poor universe is dying dude, and all you, Mr. President, can say is “we’re working on a solution”. Show me facts, show us proof that sulfur emission are being reduced, and that lime is too expensive to add into the soil.

I am trying hard to comprehend government tactics man. This, to me, just doesn’t seem right to the nature of our world. Trees are dying, rivers and lakes are polluted with acidic solutions. I’m just trying to save our planet man, one flower at a time.

Peace,

Hyde

3 comments:

  1. This is awesome, good work Louise. I think you should put more in it about how the chemicals are getting into the soil through farms and car pollution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks excellent Louise, very hippie-like. Mostly I'll just be correcting grammar stuff, I think the style of writing and the chemistry are all there.
    planted, --> planted
    that soil --> the earth
    till --> tilling
    and the rains came --> and then the rains came
    governments --> government's
    you and you're --> you and your
    earth, lies --> earth - lies
    they are --> are
    out, nobody --> out - nobody
    sulfur emission --> sulfur emissions
    to the nature --> in the nature
    Some of this stuff is just personal preference in word placement (they are --> are)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Okay. This was hilarious and very fun to read. I feel the group was more concerned about making something entertaining rather than presenting more of the accurate information. It could have used a few more details; however, it is in language ordinary people can relate. That aspect is important to making the acid rain issue known. People are not threatened by the problem as much so they may feel it is more possible to find a logical solution. Sometimes it is more important to present information on a serious topic in a comical way so it is more accessible to the reader. Totally wicked, maaaaan!

    ReplyDelete